Correspondence and diaries of the Rt Revd George Bell (1883-1958), successively student of Christ Church, chaplain to Archbishop Randall Davidson, Dean of Canterbury, and from 1929 Bishop of Chichester.
This extensive collection includes material on the German churches before and after the Second World War, the allies' war policy, relief work among refugees, the atomic bomb, the ecumenical movement and Churches overseas, South Africa, religious drama and art, liturgy, and church and state relations.
William John Birkbeck (1859-1916) was a theologian and liturgical scholar concerned with relations between the Church of England and the Russian Orthodox Church. He travelled extensively through Russia exploring its history and culture. In 1895 he was involved in Viscount Halifax's ecumenical mission to Rome. In the same year, he published Russia and the English Church, consisting of the correspondence between the Rev. William Palmer, an Anglican divine, and Alexis Stepanovich Khomyakov, a Russian layman and theologian.
The collection comprises family papers and correspondence, diaries, study and lecture notes and covers Birkbeck's work on Church history, theology and liturgy, his involvement in the Anglo-Catholic movement and ecumenism.
The Christian Faith Society originated in 1691 in a bequest of Robert Boyle for advancing religion among infidels, and was renamed in 1794 the Society for the Conversion and Religious Education of the Negro Slaves in the British West-India Islands and in 1836 the Society for Advancing the Christian Faith in the British West-India Islands.
The papers comprise minutes, correspondence and accounts, 1642-1956.
A micropublication of the Christian Faith Society is available from World Microfilms 
The Church Society was founded in 1950 by the merger of the Church Association (f.1865) and the National Protestant League (f.1906), which was itself an amalgamation of the National Protestant Church Union (f.1893) and the Church of England League (f.1904), formerly the Ladies League (f.1899).
The collection comprises minutes of the Church Association and its committees from 1867, and the National Protestant Church League, 1919-49.
The English Church Union was founded in 1860 by the merger of the Church of England Protection Society (f.1859) with a number of local church societies with the similar object of defending and propagating high church principles. In 1934 the ECU united with the Anglo-Catholic Congress to form the Church Union.
The collection comprises minutes of the ECU and CU, Anglo-Catholic Congresses, Bristol Church Union, and parochial returns on reservation, 1954.
Records of ecclesiastical administration during the Commonwealth period, including parochial surveys, and surveys of the former episcopal and capitular estates, records of appointment of clergy and augmentation of benefices. Originally numbered in the manuscript sequence as 902-22, 944-50, 966-1021, these were renumbered in the 1960s as a separate collection.
A micropublication of the Commonwealth Records is available from World Microfilms 
Further information is available in:
Houston, J. Catalogue of Ecclesiastical Records of the Commonwealth 1643-1660 in the Lambeth Palace Library (1968).
Doctors' Commons, the association or college of ecclesiastical lawyers founded in 1511 and situated in Knightrider Street, London, was dissolved following the Court of Probate Act, 1857.
Its records were dispersed, but most of those that survive are in the Library. These comprise the register, 1511-1855, a 19th century minute book, and financial and estate papers. For further details and a calendar of the register of Doctors' Commons (DC 1), see G.D. Squibb, Doctors' Commons. A history of the College of advocates and doctors of law.[R OC341.S7] (1977).
Correspondence of Canon J.A. Douglas, vicar of St. Luke, Camberwell, and from 1933 Hon. General Secretary of the Church of England Council on Foreign Relations, concerning relations between the Church of England and the Eastern Orthodox Churches during the first half of the 20th century.
The records of the Community of St Andrew cover its 19th- and 20th-century history and include minutes, correspondence, photographs and other material. The Library also holds printed material relating to the community. The collection documents the wider history of the deaconess movement and the role of women in the church as well as the community's own work.
Some documents from the archive were published in Henrietta Blackmore, The Beginning of Women’s Ministry: The Revival of the Deaconess in the 19th Century Church of England (2007).
Gerald Alexander Ellison (1910-1992) was Bishop of London and a highly respected and influential figure in the Church of England. He was the spokesman for all church legislative matters in the House of Lords and developed the area system in London.
The collection includes official and personal papers from his time as Bishop of Chester (1955-1976), Bishop of London (1973-1981) and his service in the House of Lords. Official papers cover the wide range of his activities and include correspondence, administrative files, papers on foreign visits and official diaries. Personal papers include family and private correspondence, personal diaries, papers relating to his education and photographs.
The Library holds the official papers of several Bishops of London, known as the Fulham Papers as they were were transferred from Fulham Palace, the former Bishops' residence.
The majority of the collection dates from the 18th-19th centuries and includes correspondence on the administration of the diocese of London, and on the churches, particularly in America and the West Indies, which came under the bishop's jurisdiction at the time.
It also includes a series of visitation returns, 1763-1900 , the earlier volumes being at London Metropolitan Archives  alongside other records of the diocese (ref: DL).
A micropublication of the colonial sections of the papers is available in several American libraries and may also be purchased from World Microfilms Limited , who also publish micropublications of the letterbooks of Bishop Blomfield and the London visitation returns 1763-1815.
For the diocese of London see also the Building on History project .
Extent of the Diocese of London
The boundaries of the diocese of London were changed a number of times during the 19th century. Until 1845, the diocese composed most of the parishes in Middesex, the city of London parishes (excluding the thirteen parishes in the peculiar of the Arches), a substantial number of parishes in Hertfordshire, and the four parishes of Aston Abbots, Grandborough, Little Horwood, and Winslow in Buckinghamshire.
The abolition of the exempt jurisdictions in 1845 brought into the diocese of London the parishes in the city of London and some parishes in Middlesex and Surrey which were formerly peculiars of the archbishop. At the same time the diocese gained various Kent parishes just south of the Thames (Charlton, Deptford, Eltham, Greenwich, Lee, Lewisham, Plumstead, and Woolwich) and retained nine Essex parishes just north of the river (Barking, Chingford, East and West Ham, Little Ilford, Low Leyton, Wanthamstow, Wanstead, and Woodford).
The remainder of Essex was temporarily transferred to the see of Rochester. London also lost its parishes in Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire. Under the London Diocese Act of 1863 and the Diocese of St. Albans Act of 1875, provisions were made for the future removal of the Essex, Kent and Surrey parishes from the diocese of London. In 1877 the diocese of London was confined to the county of Middlesex, including the cities of London and Middlesex.
The records of the Incorporated Church Building Society (ICBS) comprise the minute books and some 16,000 files relating to applications for grants for the building and restoration of churches thoughout England and Wales, from the foundation of the Society in 1818 until 1982. Applications were made on a standard form which included data on the population and character of the parish, as well as information on the church building.
Catalogue data includes information on the churches, reasons for the grants, and the names of surveyors, architects or other professionals responsible for the buildings, and indicates the existence of plans and photographs. For further information on the ICBS archive and how to use it, click the 'Search Collections' link on the left hand menu.
Also of use is "List of I.C.B.S. grants, 1818-1927" (from The Incorporated Church Building Society annual report for ... 1927).
Correspondence and papers of the Revd. John Keble and various relatives, including Thomas Keble (1793-1875), vicar of Bisley.
Copy of 48 sermons preached between 1672 and 1689. They are attributed to John Kettlewell (1653-1695), but the authorship is uncertain.
This collection is on deposit and the Library is unable to provide copies in any form.
A miscellaneous collection of material on the history of the Library, including obsolete catalogues, ranging from the earliest, which provides a catalogue of the books and manuscripts of the Library's founder, Archbishop Bancroft, in 1612 and includes an account of the Library's foundation (F1), to those of previous Librarians (Paul Colomiès, David Wilkins, A.C. Ducarel, S.R. Maitland and S.W. Kershaw).
Also included are letter-books of Claude Jenkins, Lambeth Librarian, correspondence, mainly 20th century, a few visitors' books, and annual reports.
See also the source guides to Library Records .
The Lord Wharton Charity was founded in 1692 by Philip Wharton, 4th Baron Wharton, for the purchase of bibles, catechisms and other books for poor children in Buckinghamshire, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Yorkshire. The collection includes accounts, minutes and papers, mainly 19th-20th century.
The Rt Rev. Hugh Montefiore was born into a prominent Jewish family. He converted to Anglican Christianity whilst at school and became Bishop of Kingston Upon Thames (1970-1978) and Bishop of Birmingham (1978-1987). He wrote many books and was a sometimes controversial, but influential figure.
This collection comprises official papers (records spanning Bishop Montefiore's career in the Church of England and including correspondence, sermons and records of Montefiore's involvement with charities and social activism) and personal and family papers (personal papers of the Bishop and his wife, including records of Montefiore's service in the armed forces during the Second World War, diaries, passports, photographs, and research compiled by Montefiore's biographer John Peart Binns).
Records created by the headquarters of the Mothers' Union (MU), Mary Sumner House, Westminster. Founded to promote the sanctity of marriage and Christian family life, the MU was primarily interested in the morality of society, and its activity ranged from petitioning parliament to running family fun days. By the early 20th century, the MU had established itself in dioceses overseas, undertaking a mix of missionary and development work.
The archive comprises minutes, correspondence, accounts, pamphlets, architectural plans, photographs and slides. The majority of the archive dates from the 1890s onwards, as it was not until then that the Mothers' Union established a centralised structure. The papers also contain a few series of documents originating from members who, although not always based at Mary Sumner House, played important roles within the organisation.
Correspondence and papers of the Royal Commission on Ecclesiastical Discipline, which was appointed in 1904 and reported in 1906: Report of the Royal Commission on Discipline, together with Minutes of evidence taken before the Royal Commission.
The papers comprise 25 volumes, including minute books, surveys of churches where ritualist practices had been introduced, 1901-5, and newspaper cuttings, 1904-6.
Correspondence and papers of SPG, comprising the papers of John Chamberlayne, first secretary of SPG, 1702-11, later given to the Archbishop of Canterbury, minutes, 1701-50, financial records, 1702-96, and some late 18th century correspondence of the Archbishops of Canterbury relating to the church overseas and the establishment of episcopacy in America.
For other correspondence, 1702-14, see the Tenison volume in Archbishops Papers and for minutes of SPG, 1758-66, see MS 1124. within the manuscripts series.
Micropublication of the SPG Papers is available in a number of American Libraries and may be purchased from World Microfilms Limited 
Further information is available in:
Manross, W.W. S.P.G. Papers in the Lambeth Palace Library. Calendar and Indexes, (Oxford, 1974).
The archives of SPG records are held at the Bodleian Library . These include series A, B and C.
The Society was instituted in 1788 for the relief of country clergy, 'the tenor of whose preaching is according to the doctrinal articles of the Church of England'. The records comprise minute books and registers, 1788-1864.
The SSF is an international Franciscan religious order. It was formed in the 1930s by uniting groups in the Franciscan tradition including the Brotherhood of St Francis of Assisi. The Society originated in the work of the Reverend Douglas Downes, during the depression following the First World War. Brother Douglas and his associates travelled the roads, sharing the life of itinerant men and boys seeking work. In 1921, a landowner offered a Dorset farm as a base for the work, which became Hilfield Friary. Father Algy Robertson was also an important figure in the formation of the Society.
There are three different orders within the Society: the First Order of brothers and sisters (The Society of St Francis and The Community of St Francis respectively), the Second Order of sisters (The Community of St Clare) and the Third Order of lay men and women.
The SSF collection covers the wide range of activities of the First Order of brothers, including constitution and admission documentation, communication and correspondence between UK and overseas-based missions, personal papers of the brothers and minutes of council and chapter meetings. The collection also includes items from the Brotherhood of the Love of Christ, which joined the Society in 1937 and The Society of the Servants of Christ, a Christian ashram founded in India.
Founded in Oxford in 1866, the Society of Saint John the Evangelist (SSJE) became the first male Anglican religious order of men to from since the Reformation. Father Founder, Richard Meux Benson, took vows of poverty, obedience and celibacy and, along with Simeon Wilberforce O’Neill and Charles Chapman Grafton, began a Society which would continue in Britain for almost 150 years.
Missionary work, both at home and overseas, was a fundamental aim of the Society and by the turn of the 20th century missions had been established in Bombay and Poona in India and Cape Town in South Africa. Work would also begin in America in 1870, and this would be followed in 1928 with a house opening in Ontario, Canada. At home, a church, mission house and schools were built in the Cowley district of Oxford, and in 1905 a purpose-built London home for the Society was established at Great College Street, Westminster. The work of the members of the Society would provide a template for those societies formed latterly, and the legacy of SSJE is clear, with churches and schools still fulfilling the needs of communities across three continents.
In 2011 the British Chapter of the Society came to an end, though an American Chapter based in Cambridge, Massachusetts still thrives.
The SSJE collection, given to Lambeth Palace Library in 2012, provides a record of all the activities of the Fathers, including missionary work, conducting retreats and the delivering sermons and addresses. The overseas missionary work is particularly well recorded within the Fathers personal papers, with large quantities of letters from India and South Africa surviving to provide a vivid recollection of the early days of the Society in what were often harsh, uncompromising conditions. Also included are copies of the Rule and Statues by which the Fathers lived their lives, a range of minute books documenting the administration of the Society, a large number of photographs which feature various Fathers, the Society’s properties at home and abroad, the types of missionary work undertaken by the Fathers, and records which detail the establishing of the Society’s London House.
These papers are stored at the Church of England Record Centre .
Correspondence, travel diaries, photographs and organisation files relating to the life and work of John Stott (1921-2011), the rector of All Souls, Langham Place (1950-1975), Chaplain to the Queen (1959-1991), and prominent evangelical leader. Stott was also the author of around fifty books, including ‘Issues Facing Christians Today’ and the series entitled ‘The Bible Speaks Today’, primarily written at his rural retreat on the Pembrokeshire coast.
This collection includes material relating to key evangelical conferences, such as the 1974 International Congress of World Evangelism at Lausanne, at which Stott was the Chair of the Drafting Committee of the Lausanne Covenant; as well as the minutes and reports from organisations which John Stott was instrumental in founding, such as Langham Partnership International, The London Institute of Contemporary Christianity, the Church of England Evangelical Council, the Evangelical Fellowship in the Anglican Communion and the Eclectics Society.
The Third Order was originally formed in 1930 as the English branch of the Third Order of the Christa Seva Sangha (CSS), a Christian ashram in India, and was under the guidance of Father Algy of the Brotherhood of the Love of Christ at St. Ives and its co-founder Dorothy L. Swayne. The society was composed of priests and laity who wished to live under a simple rule of religious life following the Evangelical Counsels of poverty, chastity and obedience. Many of its members however were not particularly connected with the Franciscan mission in India and in 1930 it was suggested by Br. Douglas Downes that the English Third Order be united with other tertiary groups within the society.
This led to the creation of the Fellowship of the Way in 1931 (also known as the Fellowship of St. Francis), which provided a rule of daily prayer and communion for members but did not require members to take vows. The following years saw a debate between tertiaries seeking a simpler rule of life and those wanting a fully formed Third Order with a novitiate and professed members under vows. In 1933 it was decided that the CSS tertiaries in Britain should become affiliated with other Third Order communities in England. The Fellowship of the Way was dissolved and replaced with the council of the Society of Saint Francis. In 1937, with the formation of the First Order of the Society of Saint Francis, it was decided that the affiliated tertiary communities should become the Third Order of the newly unified Society of Saint Francis.
The collection includes communications and correspondence with members of the order around the world, rules, statues, minutes and reports of governing bodies and schedules of events.