Doctors' Commons

Doctors' Commons, the association or college of ecclesiastical lawyers founded in 1511 and situated in Knightrider Street, London, was dissolved following the Court of Probate Act, 1857.

Its records were dispersed, but most of those that survive are in the Library. These comprise the register, 1511-1855, a 19th century minute book, and financial and estate papers.  For further details and a calendar of the register of Doctors' Commons (DC 1), see G.D. Squibb, Doctors' Commons. A history of the College of advocates and doctors of law.[R OC341.S7] (1977).